Call now to discuss your insurance needs: 912-925-8855

Excess Flood

The highest building limit that can be purchase through a basic flood policy is $250,000 and the highest limit for contents is $100,000. If your home or contents are valued higher than this you may need to purchase Excess Flood coverage be fully covered in the event of a flood loss.


Just because you haven't experienced a flood in the past, doesn't mean you won't in the future. Flood risk isn't just based on history, it's also based on a number of factors: rainfall, river-flow and tidal-surge data, topography, flood-control measures, and changes due to building and development.

Flood FAQ'S

Why do you need flood coverage in addition to your homeowners policy?

Typically, a homeowner policy does not coverage rising water.

FEMA defines Flood as, " A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of 2 or more acres of normally dry land area or of 2 or more properties (at least 1 of which is the policyholder's property) from:
--Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
--Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
--Mudflow; or
Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above."

If a storm comes through and blows off my roof and rising water also enters my home, how do they determine which policy pays for what damage?

n You would first file a claim on your homeowners policy and on your flood policy. They will assign adjusters who will assess the damage for you.  Once the water recedes from your home there will be a line where the rising water stopped. Anything above this line would typically be covered by your homeowners insurance and anything below the line would typically be covered by your flood policy.

How do you determine if you are in a flood zone?

Your agent can do a flood zone determination for you to determine if you are in a flood zone or not.

What is an elevation certificate and how do I get one?

The Flood Elevation Certificate is an important tool of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It is used to certify building elevations if the building is located in a SFHA in order to: Determine the proper flood insurance premium rate for the building.

To obtain a Elevation Certificate you would need to contact a surveyor and they will complete it for you. Once you have the Elevation Certificate your agent will be able to determine  the rate for your flood insurance.

Do the flood zones change?

The flood zones do change when FEMA does remapping.

What does Pre-FIRM and Post-FIRM?

In the City of Savannah:

Pre-FIRM is a building that was constructed or had substantial improvement on or before December 31, 1974., or before the effective date of an initial Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM).  If your home is Pre-FIRM you are not required to get an Elevation Certificate; however, you may be able to get a better rate should you decide to get one.

Post-FIRM is a building that was constructed or had substantial improvement after December 31, 1974., or on or after effective date of an initial Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM).

The Pre and Post-Firm dates vary based on where you live.

Am I required to have flood insurance?

If you have a mortgage or equity line on your home the lender will require that you carry a flood policy.

For additional information visit,

Flood Insurance